- The Jamestown Street Railway started streetcar operations on June 19, 1884 with the horse drawn cars. It provided a much improved means for traveling the rough and muddy city streets. For about 40 years it was the best way to get around town.
- In 1891 the streetcar lines were electrified. The horse drawn streetcars were phased out and the electric motor became the muscle that moved the trolley car.
- In 1926 the Jamestown Street Railway purchased eight new St. Louis Car Company trolley cars. Numbered 91-98, they serviced the Willard Street and North-Newland lines. Trolley Car #93 was one of these.
- Better roads, the automobile, and a new form of mass transportation, the bus, slowly started to cut into the trolley line profits. It was in January of 1938 that The Jamestown Street Railway trolley service ended.
- The end of trolley service saw Car #93 and the rest of the 90's series cars stripped down and the bodies sold and used for cottages on Chautauqua Lake.
GO TO NEXT.
GO BACK TO MAIN.