COL. PHILLIPS AT GRIFFITH'S POINT
CHAUTAUQUA LAKE - NEW YORK - 1873
COL. PHILLIPS AT MAYVILLE
CHAUTAUQUA LAKE - NEW YORK - 1875
The Colonel William Phillips was built in 1873 at a cost of about $8000 at Phillips Mills in Arnolds Bay below Bemus Point NY. Built by C.C. Beck of Jamestown NY for W.H. Whitney of Mayville (formerly a druggist from Jamestown). 126 feet in length and a beam of 16 1/2 feet, she was named after the president of the Allegeny Valley Railroad
Launched on June 19th 1873, she was towed to Mayville NY where her machinery was put in and the boat was finished. Mayville became her home port. She was rebuilt there in 1875 at which time 16 feet of length was added to the bow, a large cabin was built on the upper deck and her engines and boilers were enlarged.
Throughout the country the Col. Phillips was known as the legislature steamboat, her popularity helping to elect her owner to the Assembly in 1875. After her 1876 season it was said of her that "the Colonel Phillips has been as regular as an old clock all season, having been exempt from accident or stoppage of any kind all summer".
On the night of November 20th, 1876 fire was discovered coming from her stern cabin windows while at her dock in Mayville NY. The origin of the fire was unknown and the entire boat was destroyed.
GO TO NEXT.
GO BACK TO LARGE CHAUTAUQUA LAKE STEAMBOATS.