W.C. RINEARSON (1891)
CITY OF CLEVELAND (1892 - 1930)
CITY OF JAMESTOWN (1931 - 1963)
Built as the W.C. Rinearson in 1891 (honoring the General Passenger Agent of the Erie Railroad at the time), it held that name for one year only. She was owned by the Burroughs Brothers and navigated under the Peoples Line of steamboats. Much of the boat was built in Buffalo NY in the Erie Railway ship yards. She was the first all-steel hull steamer on Chautauqua Lake. The hull was built in sections and shipped to Jamestown NY where they were riveted together. Then the upper works were finished and the machinery was put in place.
The new steamer was 110 feet long with a 24 foot beam and a draft of 5 feet 6 inches. She was put in commission in July of 1891 and joined the Black Stack fleet.
From 1892 to 1913 it was the property of the Chautauqua Steamboat Company, Then, from 1914 to 1935 it became part of the Chautauqua Lake Navigation Comany. It was during this period that the steamboat was renamed the City of Jamestown (1931). It held this name through various owners (including the the municipality for which it was named) until 1963 when it made its last run.
In 1967 the superstructure was removed. The steel hull remained until the early 1970's but then was cut up for scrap.
GO BACK TO LARGE CHAUTAUQUA LAKE STEAMBOATS.
CLICK HERE FOR THE JSRY TROLLEY CAR #93 RESTORATION PAGE.
CLICK HERE FOR THE GREATER JAMESTOWN NY HISTORY PAGE.