ALASKA - CITY OF BUFFALO (1st)
(1880 - 1885)
The steamer "Alaska" was built in Lakewood NY under the supervision of Captain J.W. Pierce of Kingston, Ontario for the owners Hiram Rumsey, Manley S. Harris and Frank D. Griffith. She was named after the daughter of Mr. Warren Packard, proprietor of the Lake View House.
She was 105 feet long with a beam of 22 feet and designed to carry 400 passengers. Launched June 10, 1880, she began making regular trips July 4th under the command of Captain Frank D. Griffith.
In 1883 she was purchased by Captain E.A. Burroughs and renamed the "City of Buffalo" (1st).
Over her six years she was known as a very fast, servicable and trustworthy steamboat. Competition amongst the various rival steamboat lines took its toll however. Then, at 1:00 AM September 6, 1885 fire was discovered coming from her fire hole while she was docked at Mayville, NY. There was no fire apparatus available to put out the blaze so she was cut loose and pushed out into the lake where she burned to the waters edge.
GO TO NEXT.
GO BACK TO LARGE CHAUTAUQUA LAKE STEAMBOATS.